Short Term Contract - Junior Consultant
About the Role
Cardno Emerging Markets UK aims to strengthen its in-house capacity by appointing a Junior Consultant, on a short term contract with a possible view to extend, to support business development efforts and research.
The Intern’s will report to a Cardno project manager and will split their time across 2 key areas: Business Development (50%) and technical research (50%).
Business Development (50%):
Support proposal preparation for donor programmes in Transport, Infrastructure and Inclusive Business
- Support the preparation of expressions of interest and proposals by developing references, partnership agreements and tender compliance documentation
- Supporting the management of bids and tenders working with technical experts and partners to write the technical methodology
- Supporting the financial negotiation and development of commercial proposals
- Support project recruitment through development of job descriptions, writing job adverts, identifying experts (international and national), conducting interviews and undertaking reference and salary checks in line with Cardno quality standards
Technical Research (50%)
Undertake desk based background research to inform proposals and support the technical implementation of project
- To contribute to a learning culture in the office by undertaking research, reviewing project reports and presenting findings and analysis to other members of the Cardno team
- Participating in brainstorming workshops on programme key issues, technical analysis and strategic planning to respond to international development challenges
- Participate in field assignments (1-2 weeks) to prepare for scoping out proposals or support project start up / design issues.
We are looking for a person who demonstrates a commitment to international development, an enthusiastic attitude and a willingness to learn and develop their professional skills. The person must be diligent, organised and hardworking with a commitment in delivering value to our clients and partners.
Desired Skills and Experience
To be successful in this role, you will be able to demonstrate the following skills:
Degree in a relevant technical subject or other relevant development qualification
- Demonstrable interest in working on transport, infrastructure or inclusive business development in developing countries
- Demonstrated interest in international development and ability to undertake independent research on international development issues
- Previous work experience in a development / corporate sector is strongly desirable
- Excellent written communication skills and ability to communicate concepts and ideas in a succinct, logical and clear manner.
- Skilled in MS Office applications.
- Fluency in English
- Ability to think logically and possessing skills in problem identification and resolution
- Ability to work not only as a team member but also with limited supervision on personal initiative
- Demonstrated experience of initiative, client-orientation, risk taking, and working in complex and time-pressured contexts;
- Outstanding English written and oral communication skills with additional languages
- Excellent inter-personal skills and team-work;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Excellent IT skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- UK work authorisation required